NOTICE: The following
article is written by the author itself and not by me, I am not trying to
violate their copyright. I will give some information on them.
PAGE
TITLE:
CBN Daily Devotional
ARTICLE TITLE: A Desperate Prayer
DATE: N.A
AUTHOR: Dr. D. Leon Pippin
AUTHOR INFORMATION: Dr. D. Leon Pippin is a freelance author writing to share
God’s truth, publishing Devotions, poems, and drama. His writings will include
a gift book and a childhood memoir. He writes, directs, and choreographs church
drama. He is a Christian and enjoys his life with the Lord. Visit his blog: Umbilical: Connecting Hearts to Heaven. Send D. Leon Pippin your comments
"Where on a July holiday weekend, on a
late Sunday near dusk, on an almost deserted highway by a bridge in upper
Michigan are we going to find a mechanic?" I asked my disappointed family.
Greg, our 10-year-old fisherman, kicking at
some loose gravel, asked, "Does this mean we won't get to go
fishing?"
"Of course not," my wife assured
him.
Our family was approaching Mackinac Island
Bridge on a vacation to Canada. Our 1968 Pontiac station wagon was loaded with
tent, camping and fishing gear, luggage, and three young children. We had
traveled for six hours, and we became excited about crossing the huge bridge.
Well, the Pontiac got excited, too. Too excited, to be exact. We heard a
rattling noise, and so I pulled onto the shoulder. Now a mechanic, I ain't.
But, with such reassuring confidence, I popped the hood (I'd seen other
disabled motorists do that), and lost the car in bellows and bellows of steam.
My six-year old said, "Look, dad, the
car's going to the bathroom."
"Well," I said, "it looks like
we're losing water."
"Then let's ask God for a man to fix it,
ok?" he said; then added, "We gotta pray. NOW."
We held hands, bowed our heads, asked for
help, and thanked God in advance for his answer. We had barely lifted our heads
when a motorist pulled up and asked if we needed help. (Did we need help or is
Lake Michigan a big pool of water?) He looked it over and said the water pump
was bad. I saw Greg's face drop.
But then he said some words that sounded like
angels from heaven: "I know a mechanic who may pull himself away from a
holiday barbecue to help you. Hop in."
My family said they'd continue to pray as I
sped away with our good Samaritan. Within an hour the mechanic and I pulled up
behind our wagon.
As he grabbed his tool box, along with a
water pump, he said some exciting words: "We'll have you rolling before
dark."
As we sat around a campfire the next night,
we read Isaiah
65:24: "Before they call I will answer; while they are still speaking
I will hear." And we all agreed that was exactly what God did. We
discussed how a difficulty helps us to experience a specific promise from God.
Greg said he was more convinced now that God
is a fisherman at heart because he got to fish all week for crappies and bass.
Don shared that he wanted to help people as the motorist and mechanic had
helped us. Our family knew that prayer was not a spare tire thing, for Jesus
taught in Luke
18:1 that "We should always pray and not give up" in all
circumstances, not just emergency ones.
And our little Brett was not to be outdone,
so he wanted us to remember that God knows about everything, especially about
cars that don't run right.
Later, my oldest son Don asked if all the
things that had happened on that 95+degree day were a mere coincidence, or if
God had really answered our "desperate prayer?"
I told him I never doubted that God heard our
cry for help.
"Me neither," he said, "me,
neither."
I went on to reassure him that "When we
pray," but before I could finish, my youngest son inserted, "God
jumps."
I thought for awhile, and then I replied
"Yeah, you're so right, God jumps."
Heavenly Father, keep that childlike faith
alive and jumping in this father's heart. Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment