As
John Newton passed away on this date, December 21, 1807. I chose one of his
hymns that was authored by himself, ‘Amazing Grace’ as the song of the month.
![]() |
|
John Newton
|
INTERNET SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazing_Grace
"Amazing Grace" is one of
the most recognizable Christian hymns in the English-speaking world. The text
by English poet and Anglican clergyman John Newton (1725–1807) was first
published in 1779. The words describe in first person the move of a
"wretch" from a "lost" to a "found" state by a
merciful act of God. The melody, "New Britain", was first published
in 1829 by Charles H. Spilman and Benjamin Shaw (Cincinnati). Unattributed to
any composer, the melody combines two earlier melodies ("Gallaher"
and "St. Mary") and likely represents a confluence of oral
traditions. "New Britain" was wedded to Newton's text in 1835 by
composer William Walker to form the hymn familiar today.
Author Gilbert Chase writes that
"Amazing Grace" is "without a doubt the most famous of all the
folk hymns." Jonathan Aitken, a Newton biographer, estimates that it is
performed about 10 million times annually. "Amazing Grace"
stands as an emblematic African American spiritual and exemplar of Appalachian
shape note hymnody. In the nineteenth century the hymn was sung by First
Americans enduring the ordeal of the Trail of Tears, by abolitionists, by soldiers
in the U.S. Civil War, and by homesteaders settling the Prairies. By the
twentieth century the hymn had achieved international popularity. In
mid-century it enjoyed renewed popularity among activists in America's civil
rights movement.
INTERNET SOURCE: http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Amazing_Grace
Faith's
Review and Expectation by John
Newton
Based on 1 Chronicles 17:16–17
As appeared in Olney Hymns, 1779
Amazing grace! (how sweet the
sound)
That sav’d a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.
That sav’d a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.
’Twas grace that taught my heart
to fear,
And grace my fears reliev’d;
How precious did that grace appear,
The hour I first believ’d!
And grace my fears reliev’d;
How precious did that grace appear,
The hour I first believ’d!
Thro’ many dangers, toils and
snares,
I have already come;
’Tis grace has brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.
I have already come;
’Tis grace has brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.
The Lord has promis’d good to me,
His word my hope secures;
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.
His word my hope secures;
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.
Yes, when this flesh and heart
shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease;
I shall possess, within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.
And mortal life shall cease;
I shall possess, within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.
The earth shall soon dissolve
like snow,
The sun forbear to shine;
But God, who call’d me here below,
Will be forever mine.
The sun forbear to shine;
But God, who call’d me here below,
Will be forever mine.
[The following verse was added in
E.O. Excell's Coronation Hymns, 1910:]
When we’ve been there ten thousand years,
Bright shining as the sun,
We’ve no less days to sing God’s praise
Than when we first begun.
Amazing
Grace with Orchestra, Choir and Bagpipes
VIDEO SOURCE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p2CbHG9O0s

No comments:
Post a Comment