On
November 21, 2016, I read that Pope Francis gave Priests the indefinite power
to forgive the sin of abortion. I, as a born-again Christian, strongly disagree
with that doctrine and I will not just mention the word ‘abortion’ but more of
the word, ‘sin’.
The
truth is only Jesus Christ has the power to forgive all (any) sin. See these
two Bible verses:
![]() |
|
But that ye may know
that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (then saith he to the
sick of the palsy,) Arise, take up thy bed, and go unto thine house. – Matthew
9:6 (KJV)
[PHOTO SOURCE: http://bibleencyclopedia.com/kjvslides/matthew/9-6.htm]
|
![]() |
But that ye may know
that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (he saith to the sick
of the palsy,) – Mark 2:10 (KJV)
[PHOTO SOURCE: http://bibleencyclopedia.com/kjvslides/mark/2-10.htm]
|
There
is no verse in the Bible from the Old Testament to the New Testament indicating
that Priests or any clergymen have the power to forgive sin. Jesus is the Great
High Priest who has the power to forgive sins.
![]() |
Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the
heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession,
Christ Jesus; - Hebrews 3:1 (KJV)
[PHOTO SOURCE: https://images.knowing-jesus.com/i/hebrews-3-1-consider-the-apostle-and-hight-priest-of-our-profession-beige-4349]
|
We
need him and not the Pope or the priest.
For the Pope to say that the priests have the power to
forgive the sin of abortion (or any sin) is equivalent to playing God, meaning ‘all
priests have the power of Christ to forgive sin’.
That
is a perversion of the scriptures and an insult to our Lord Jesus Christ. This
will in no way help sinners to come to true repentance but give them the wrong
mentality: they might be thinking in their heart, “From now on, it doesn’t
matter how many sins I commit. I can go freely to the priests and get quick
forgiveness and it doesn’t matter how I live.”
![]() |
|
“The Lord has redeemed
all of us, all of us, with the blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics.
Everyone! ‘Father, the atheists?’ Even the atheists. Everyone!” – Pope Francis
[PHOTO SOURCE:
|
I
do understand that the power to forgive sins and forgiving someone who has
wronged me is two different things. Yes, God does want me to forgive people who
wronged me.
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; - Matthew 5:44 (KJV)
35 But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and [to] the evil. 36 Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful. 37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven: - Luke 6:35-37 (KJV)
That
is why I pray for forgiveness of those who wronged me. (Psalm 41)
However,
when I commit a sin, I do not go to the priests or any clergymen to ask for
forgiveness for any sin I committed, I pray to God and ask for forgiveness.
The General Confession from the Book of Common Prayer 1662:Almighty God, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, Maker of all things, Judge of all men: We acknowledge and bewail our manifold sins and wickedness, Which we, from time to time, most grievously have committed, By thought, word and deed, Against thy Divine Majesty, Provoking most justly thy wrath and indignation against us. We do earnestly repent, And are heartily sorry for these our misdoings; The remembrance of them is grievous unto us; The burden of them is intolerable. Have mercy upon us, have mercy upon us, most merciful Father; For thy Son our Lord Jesus Christ's sake, Forgive us all that is past; And grant that we may ever hereafter Serve and please thee In newness of life, To the honour and glory of thy name; Through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
In
conclusion, I will be encouraging readers who see this column here to heed this
warning: Only Jesus Christ and neither the Pope or the priests, has the power
to forgive sins. It is important to confess and remember the blood of Christ
washes away your sins. Amen.
15But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; 16Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy. 17And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear: 18Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; 19But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: 20Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you, 21Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God. – I Peter 1:15-21 (KJV)
![]() |
But if we walk in the
light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the
blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. – I John
1:7 (KJV)
|
4And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full. 5This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: 7But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. 8If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. – I John 1:4-10 (KJV)










No comments:
Post a Comment