Friday, November 10, 2023

540TH BIRTHDAY FOR MARTIN LUTHER THE GREAT REFORMER

 

What is the Gospel? It is this that God had sent his Son to the world to save sinners, and to crush hell, overcome death, take away sin and satisfy the law. What must you do? Nothing but accept this and look up to your redeemer and firmly believe that he has done this for your good and freely gives you all as your own. – Martin Luther

[PHOTO SOURCE: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=774398071390220&set=a.450786483751382]


            This year 2023 is the 540th birthday of the Great Reformer, Martin Luther. I will post 10 quotes and prayers by the Great Reformer.

 

“We need to hear the Gospel every day because we forget it every day.” – Martin Luther

[PHOTO SOURCE: https://www.facebook.com/ReformedEvangelicalCatholic/photos/a.1775727922448050/3673202506033906/]

 

Pray, and let God worry.” - Martin Luther

[PHOTO SOURCE: https://www.azquotes.com/quote/180791]

https://lutherandcalvinbrigade914.blogspot.com/2019/11/martin-luther-on-letting-god-take-care.html


Luther Morning Prayer

I thank you, my Heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen.

[PHOTO SOURCE: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=691626216493726&set=a.490095569980126]

 

The Devil fears the word of God, He can't bite it; it breaks his teeth. - Martin Luther

[PHOTO SOURCE: https://www.azquotes.com/quote/686659]


“So when the devil throws your sins in your face and declares that you deserve death and hell, tell him this: "I admit that I deserve death and hell, what of it? For I know One who suffered and made satisfaction on my behalf. His name is Jesus Christ, Son of God, and where He is there I shall be also!” – Martin Luther

[PHOTO SOURCE: https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/martin-luther-quote-on-devil--43417583900840864/]

 


 

 

A Prayer of Martin Luther

[PHOTO SOURCE: https://mypastoralponderings.com/2021/04/15/a-prayer-of-martin-luther/]


   

The Bible is the proper book for men. There the truth is distinguished from error far more clearly than anywhere else, and one finds something new in it every day. For twenty-eight years, since I became a doctor, I have now constantly read and preached the Bible; and yet I have not exhausted it but find something new in it every day. - Martin Luther

[PHOTO SOURCE: https://www.azquotes.com/quote/702637]


A preacher must be both soldier and shepherd. He must nourish, defend, and teach; he must have teeth in his mouth, and be able to bite and fight. - Martin Luther

[PHOTO SOURCE: https://www.azquotes.com/quote/950680]




The God whom we worship is not a weak and incompetent God. He is able to beat back gigantic waves of opposition and to bring low prodigious mountains of evil. The ringing testimony of the Christian faith is that God is able. - Martin Luther

[PHOTO SOURCE: https://www.azquotes.com/quote/581955]


The fatuous idea that a person can be holy by himself denies God the pleasure of saving sinners. God must therefore first take the sledge-hammer of the Law in His fists and smash the beast of self-righteousness and its brood of self-confidence, self wisdom, and self-help. When the conscience has been thoroughly frightened by the Law it welcomes the Gospel of grace with its message of a Savior Who came-not to break the bruised reed nor to quench the smoking flax-but to preach glad tidings to the poor, to heal the broken-hearted, and to grant forgiveness of sins to all the captives. - Martin Luther

[PHOTO SOURCE: https://www.azquotes.com/quote/1216490]


This God—his way is perfect; the word of the Lord proves true; he is a shield for all those who take refuge in him.

 – Psalm 18 verse 30 (ESV)

[PHOTO SOURCE: https://twitter.com/BibleSocietyKen/status/1305402131508232193/photo/1]



RELATED LINKS:

https://lutherandcalvinbrigade914.blogspot.com/2016/10/ninety-five-theses.html

https://lutherandcalvinbrigade914.blogspot.com/2013/02/a-mighty-fortress-is-our-god-christian.html

https://lutherandcalvinbrigade914.blogspot.com/2014/02/in-loving-memory-of-martin-luther-quote.html

https://lutherandcalvinbrigade914.blogspot.com/2013/02/in-loving-memory-of-martin-luther-quote.html

War for the sake of war is sin, but war for the sake of defense is duty. - Martin Luther

https://www.azquotes.com/quote/1446920

When Satan tells me I am a sinner he comforts me immeasurably, since Christ died for sinners. - Martin Luther

https://www.azquotes.com/quote/866058

PRAYERS BY MARTIN LUTHER LINKS:

Luther’s Morning Prayer – A Model for the Christian’s Daily Life

https://lutheranreformation.org/theology/luthers-morning-prayer-model-christians-daily-life/

A Prayer of Martin Luther

https://mypastoralponderings.com/2021/04/15/a-prayer-of-martin-luther/

Reformation 500: Luther’s Pray

https://imonk.blog/2017/10/24/77165/

Luther’s Gethsemane: A Prayer Before the Diet of Worms

http://heavenlysprings.org/blog/luthers-gethsemane-a-prayer-before-the-diet-of-worms/

No comments:

Post a Comment