NOTICE: The following
article is written by the author itself and not by me, I am not trying to
violate their copyright. I will give some information on them.
PAGE TITLE: CBN Daily Devotional
ARTICLE TITLE: Finding God’s Timing
DATE: N.A
AUTHOR: Diane Markins
AUTHOR
INFORMATION: Diane
Markins writes and speaks in a "high def, life-transforming style"
about issues that impact daily living. She is the host of Women in High Def radio show, but is also a speaker and
writer. She enjoys travel and has been from Mexico to Zimbabwe but always loves
coming home to roost in Arizona near her family. See more of her writing at DianeMarkins.com.
Have
you taken a moment lately to look at life as it is and consider some possibilities of
how it could be.
It’s easy to put this off and wait until later…but sometimes it seems that much
of our life is spent waiting.
In
a small sense we wait in line for a vanilla latte, we wait for our car to fill
up with gas, we wait for the cable guy to show up (between 8 and 12…ha! usually
it’s 2:10). In a bigger sense we wait to meet the man of our dreams, we wait
nine months for our baby to be born, we wait for a job promotion or a pay
increase. Waiting is a fact of life on earth.
But
are you looking at your own life and evaluating how much time you’ve spent
waiting? Have you waited (maybe too long?) to make a change, chart a new course
or accept an unchangeable situation.
I
waited a long time to make a serious commitment to writing and speaking. What
held me back? As with each of us, my answers aren’t simple. I was raising
children, working at having a good marriage and helping our business grow.
Those are valid reasons; but in complete honesty I held back because of fear
and lack of mentorship. When I finally broke through the fear and dove in, God
was there to meet me and encourage my progress.
“But
they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up
with wings as eagles,” says Isaiah
40:31
The
opposite is true as well. Sometimes we jump in and take action without spending
much time or thought on the process or likely results. Have you ever tried to
“fix” a situation instead of allowing God or others to take care of it? Acting
too quickly can lead to comedic and sometimes tragic results.
Too
many times to mention I’ve confronted people about things I believed were
unfair or done poorly, just to find that they had good reasons for their
actions or had already remedied the situation. Boy do I hate to go after
someone with a full head of steam only to learn that my issue is obsolete or
invalid. Alexander Pope said, “Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.” I’m
guessing he knew that angels are much wiser than we humans can be.
In
either case there is an antidote and a way to prevent a repeat. Check in with
the Lord. A LOT!
Talk to Him, read His word and get confirming wisdom from a spiritually mature
friend. It would look something like this:
“Father, I really hate my job but am
grateful to have it. Thank you for provision. Please bring me clarity about when/if
I should take any action to change my circumstance.”
- Then consider why God may have you there and the possibilities of making a change.
- Find a Believing buddy and ask for his/her prayers, insight and encouragement.
- Read in your Bible about people who’ve waited on the Lord and others who’ve taken obedient action. (Jesus has done both.)
Psalm
138:8 says, “The Lord will fulfill His purpose for me; your love O Lord,
endures forever.”
His
timeline is frequently much different than ours. When we wait on God’s timing,
then take deliberate action, the outcome is likely to be refreshment and
contentment.
I
hope your life is filled with intentional waiting while God strengthens you,
then fruit-bearing action when the time is right for you to soar like an eagle.
No comments:
Post a Comment