Friday, May 9, 2014

HAPPY 93RD BIRTHDAY! SOPHIE SCHOLL! [QUOTE OF THE FORTNIGHT ~ SUNDAY MAY 4, 2014 TO SATURDAY MAY 17, 2014]






QUOTE: “I'm still so remote from God that I don't even sense his presence when I pray. Sometimes when I utter God's name, in fact, I feel like sinking into a void. It isn't a frightening or dizzying sensation, it's nothing at all — and that's far more terrible. But prayer is the only remedy for it, and however many devils scurry around inside me, I shall cling to the rope God has thrown me in Jesus Christ, even if my numb hands can no longer feel it.” [As quoted in At the Heart of the White Rose: Letters and Diaries of Hans and Sophie Scholl (1987) edited by Inge Jens, translated by J. Maxwell Brownjohn; also in Voices of the Holocaust : Resistors, Liberation, Understanding (1997) by Lorie Jenkins McElroy]

AUTHOR: Sophia Magdalena Scholl (9 May 1921 – 22 February 1943) was a German student and revolutionary, active within the White Rose non-violent resistance group in Nazi Germany. She was convicted of high treason after having been found distributing anti-war leaflets at the University of Munich with her brother Hans. As a result, they were both executed by guillotine.

Since the 1970s, Scholl has been celebrated as one of the great German heroes who actively opposed the Third Reich during the Second World War.


Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer – Romans 12 verse 12 (NKJV)


APPLICATION: This quote by Sophie Scholl, a devout Christian during World War II, had inspired me greatly. It did remind me of Romans 12:12. I kept reciting this quote when I was climbing Mount Kinabalu (4095m) where I reached the summit. Whenever I cling on to the ropes, I remember the words, ‘I shall cling to the rope God has thrown me in Jesus Christ, even if my numb hands can no longer feel it.’

Whenever I am having some problems in my life, I remember to keep praying continuously.

Please go to this blog post to read an opinion of Sophie Scholl.

No comments:

Post a Comment