![]() |
|
John Newton’s quote
[PHOTO SOURCE: http://meetville.com/quotes/author/john-newton/page2]
|
QUOTE: I
am not what I ought to be — ah, how imperfect and deficient! I am not what I
wish to be — I abhor what is evil, and I would cleave to what is good! I am not
what I hope to be — soon, soon shall I put off mortality, and with mortality
all sin and imperfection. Yet, though I am not what I ought to be, nor what I
wish to be, nor what I hope to be, I can truly say, I am not what I once was; a
slave to sin and Satan; and I can heartily join with the apostle, and
acknowledge, "By the grace of God I am what I am."
[As quoted in The
Christian Pioneer (1856) edited by Joseph Foulkes Winks, p. 84. Also in The Christian Spectator,
vol. 3 (1821), p. 186 - Often paraphrased as I am not the man I
ought to be, I am not the man I wish to be, and I am not the man I hope to be,
but by the grace of God, I am not the man I used to be."']
AUTHOR: John Henry Newton (24 July 1725 O.S./4
August N.S. – 21 December 1807) was an English sailor and Anglican
cleric. Starting his career at sea at a young age, he became involved with the
slave trade for a few years. After experiencing a Christian conversion, he
became a cleric and hymn-writer and later a prominent supporter of the
abolition of slavery. He was the author of many hymns, including "Amazing
Grace" and "Glorious Things of Thee are Spoken".

No comments:
Post a Comment