Tuesday, March 10, 2026

GEORGE MULLER ON THE DOCTRINES OF GRACE

   

Thus, I say, the electing love of God in Christ (when I have been able to realize it) has often been the means of producing holiness, instead of leading me into sin. It is only the notional apprehension of such truths, the want of having them in the heart, whilst they are in the head, which is dangerous. – George Muller on the Doctrines of Grace

[PHOTO SOURCE: https://michaeljeshurun.wordpress.com/2020/01/30/george-mueller-the-calvinist/]


George Mueller, the Evangelist who cared for more than 10,000 orphans, is one of the Christians who had inspired me a lot. I admire him for being a prayer warrior and also how he loved the word of God AKA the Bible. I have something like him, I was opposed to the Doctrines of Grace (Calvinism), but not anymore, I fell in love with it, as it brought me closer to God.

I will post on how Muller love the Bible and why he changed from an opponent to a supporter of the Doctrines of Grace.

 

“For the first four years after my conversion I made no progress, because I neglected the Bible. But when I regularly read on through the whole with reference to my own heart and soul, I directly made progress. Then my peace and joy continued more and more. Now I have been doing this for 47 years. I have read through the whole Bible about 100 times and I always find it fresh when I begin again. Thus my peace and joy have increased more and more.” – George Muller

Article: https://rootedthinking.com/2018/10/02/george-muller-on-the-christian-life/

[PHOTO SOURCE: https://www.georgemuller.org/quotes/reading-the-bible-consistently]


The theology that guided George Müller's work is not widely known, but was shaped by an experience in his middle twenties when he "came to prize the Bible alone as [his] standard of judgement".

He records in his Narratives

[...] That the word of God alone is our standard of judgment in spiritual things; that it can be explained only by the Holy Spirit; and that in our day, as well as in former times, he is the teacher of his people. The office of the Holy Spirit I had not experimentally understood before that time. Indeed, of the office of each of the blessed persons, in what is commonly called the Trinity, I had no experimental apprehension. I had not before seen from the Scriptures that the Father chose us before the foundation of the world; that in him that wonderful plan of our redemption originated, and that he also appointed all the means by which it was to be brought about. Further, that the Son, to save us, had fulfilled the law, to satisfy its demands, and with it also the holiness of God; that he had borne the punishment due to our sins, and had thus satisfied the justice of God. And, further, that the Holy Spirit alone can teach us about our state by nature, show us the need of a Saviour, enable us to believe in Christ, explain to us the Scriptures, help us in preaching, etc. It was my beginning to understand this latter point in particular which had a great effect on me; for the Lord enabled me to put it to the test of experience, by laying aside commentaries, and almost every other book, and simply reading the word of God and studying it. The result of this was, that the first evening that I shut myself into my room, to give myself to prayer and meditation over the Scriptures, I learned more in a few hours than I had done during a period of several months previously. But the particular difference was, that I received real strength for my soul in doing so. I now began to try by the test of the Scriptures the things which I had learned and seen, and found that only those principles which stood the test were really of value.

  

"In order to enjoy the Word, we ought to continue to read it, and the way to obtain a spirit of prayer, is, to continue praying; for the less we read the Word of God, the less we desire to read it, and the less we pray, the less we desire to pray." – George Muller

ARTICLE: https://www.georgemuller.org/quotable-quotes.html

[PHOTO SOURCE: https://www.georgemuller.org/quotes/continue-reading-and-praying5950703]


Apprehension Of Truth - The Doctrine of Election

11/29/2015

2 Comments

Before this period I had been much opposed to the doctrines of election, particular redemption, and final persevering grace; so much so that, a few days after my arrival at Teignmouth I called election a devilish doctrine. I did not believe that I had brought myself to the Lord, for that was too manifestly false; but yet I held, that I might have resisted finally.

And further, I knew nothing about the choice of God's people, and did not believe that the child of God, when once made so, was safe for ever. In my fleshly mind I had repeatedly said, "If once I could prove that I am a child of God for ever, I might go back into the world for a year or two, and then return to the Lord, and at last be saved."

But now I was brought to examine these precious truths by the word of God. Being made willing to have no glory of my own in the conversion of sinners, but to consider myself merely as an instrument; and being made willing to receive what the Scriptures said; I went to the Lord, reading the New Testament from the beginning, with a particular reference to these truths. To my great astonishment I found that the passages which speak decidedly for election and persevering grace were about four times as many as those which speak apparently against these truths; and even those few, shortly after, when I had examined and understood them, served to confirm me in the above doctrines.

As to the effect which my belief in these doctrines had on me, I am constrained to state, for God's glory, that though I am still exceedingly weak, and by no means so dead to the lusts of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, as I might and as I ought to be, yet, by the grace of God, I have walked more closely with Him since that period.

 

At last I saw Christ as my Saviour. I believed in Him and gave myself to Him. The burden rolled from off me, and a great love for Christ filled my soul. That was more than fifty years ago. I loved Jesus Christ then, but I loved Him more the year after, and more the year after that, and more every year since. - George Muller

[PHOTO SOURCE: https://www.azquotes.com/quote/698060]


My life has not been so variable, and I may say that I have lived much more for God than before. And for this have I been strengthened by the Lord, in a great measure, through the instrumentality of these truths. For in the time of temptation, I have been repeatedly led to say: 

"Should I thus sin? I should only bring misery into my soul for a time, and dishonour God; for, being a son of God for ever, I should have to be brought back again, though it might be in the way of severe chastisement."

Thus, I say, the electing love of God in Christ (when I have been able to realize it) has often been the means of producing holiness, instead of leading me into sin. It is only the notional apprehension of such truths, the want of having them in the heart, whilst they are in the head, which is dangerous. 

https://www.georgemuller.org/quotes/apprehension-of-truth-the-doctrine-of-election

Here is the great secret of success. Work with all your might; but trust not in the least in your work. Pray with all your might for the blessing of God; but work, at the same time, with all diligence, with all patience, with all perseverance. Pray then, and work. Work and pray. And still again pray, and then work. And so on all the days of your life. The result will surely be, abundant blessing. Whether you see much fruit or little fruit, such kind of service will be blessed. - George Muller

[PHOTO SOURCE: https://www.azquotes.com/quote/698076]

Only let it be trust in God, not in man, not in circumstances, not in any of your own exertions, but real trust in God, and you will be helped in your various necessities... Not in circumstances, not in natural prospects, not in former donors, but solely in God. This is just that which brings the blessing. If we say we trust in Him, but in reality do not, then God, taking us at our word, lets us see that we do not really confide in Him; and hence failure arises. On the other hand, if our trust in the Lord is real, help will surely come. - George Muller

[PHOTO SOURCE: https://www.azquotes.com/quote/831685]


 

The more I am in a position to be tried in faith with reference to my body, my family, my service for the Lord, my business, etc., the more shall I have opportunity of seeing God's help and deliverance; and every fresh instance, in which He helps and delivers me, will tend towards the increase of my faith. - George Muller

[PHOTO SOURCE: https://www.azquotes.com/quote/208746]


Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us[b] for adoption to himself as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight making known[c] to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ 10 as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth. – Ephesians 1:3-10 (ESV)

[PHOTO SOURCE: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=1021360263369226&set=a.563324335839490]

https://blackforestproject421.blogspot.com/2024/04/the-pastor-of-reconciliation-geri.html

https://lutherandcalvinbrigade914.blogspot.com/2026/03/george-muller-on-doctrines-of-grace.html


GEORGE MULLER ON DOCTRINES OF GRACE LINKS:

https://lutherandcalvinbrigade914.blogspot.com/2025/09/george-muellers-220th-birthday.html

https://www.georgemuller.org/quotes/apprehension-of-truth-the-doctrine-of-election

https://www.desiringgod.org/messages/george-muellers-strategy-for-showing-god

https://www.crossway.org/articles/gods-calling-for-george-mueller/

https://michaeljeshurun.wordpress.com/2020/01/30/george-mueller-the-calvinist/

 

"In order to enjoy the Word, we ought to continue to read it, and the way to obtain a spirit of prayer, is, to continue praying; for the less we read the Word of God, the less we desire to read it, and the less we pray, the less we desire to pray." – George Muller

ARTICLE: https://www.georgemuller.org/quotable-quotes.html

[PHOTO SOURCE: https://www.georgemuller.org/quotes/continue-reading-and-praying5950703]


DOCTRINES OF GRACE LINKS:

https://findlivinghope.com/2025/03/why-i-love-the-doctrines-of-grace/

https://churcheswithoutchests.net/2025/08/21/the-doctrines-of-grace-found-me/

https://www.walkingthroughthegospel.com/2023/09/10-reasons-to-believe-doctrines-of-grace.html

https://www.oakhillspca.com/blog/post/why-i-love-the-doctrine-of-irresistible-grace

https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/devastated-and-delighted

https://lutherandcalvinbrigade914.blogspot.com/2021/05/john-calvin-on-isaiah-41-verse-10-and-13.html

https://lutherandcalvinbrigade914.blogspot.com/2024/01/540th-birthday-for-zwingli-swiss.html

https://www.apuritansmind.com/tulip/

https://www.apuritansmind.com/tulip/why-i-am-a-calvinist-by-dr-c-matthew-mcmahon/

Michael Jeshurun:

https://michaeljeshurun.wordpress.com/2023/04/18/did-christ-go-to-the-cross-to-make-certain-the-salvation-of-all-his-sheep-or-make-salvation-possible-for-any-and-all-who-might-believe-of-their-own-free-will/

https://michaeljeshurun.wordpress.com/2023/04/15/biblical-election-a-truth-to-be-preached-2/

https://michaeljeshurun.wordpress.com/2023/05/26/rejoicing-in-the-truth-of-sovereign-election/

https://michaeljeshurun.wordpress.com/tag/calvinism-not-from-calvin/

Frontline Fellowship:

https://www.frontlinemissionsa.org/answers-to-critical-questions

https://www.frontlinemissionsa.org/answers-to-critical-questions/john-calvin-was-a-murderous-dictator-who-had-people-killed-just-for-disagreeing-with-himhow-can-you-speak-well-of-such-an-evil-man-who-murdered-servetuswill-durant-called-calvin-the-dictator-of-genevahundrededs-were-executed

https://www.frontlinemissionsa.org/answers-to-critical-questions/you-calvinists-side-with-man-and-not-the-scriptures-god-wants-everyone-to-be-saved-you-limit-the-love-and-gospel-of-christ-with-your-tulip-doctrines-and-word-games

Erase John Calvin and his theology from church history, and I still believe in the absolute depravity of man, the unconditional election of God, the definite atonement of Christ, the efficacious grace of God, and the perseverance of all the saints. Because the Bible tells me so. – Dustin Benge

[PHOTO SOURCE: https://twitter.com/DustinBenge/status/1198076294891573248 .... …. https://www.facebook.com/chorusinthechaos/photos/a.1506079826321995/3009871319276164/?type=3]

 https://lutherandcalvinbrigade914.blogspot.com/2022/07/dustin-benge-on-erasing-john-calvin.html


 

Many people accuse Calvinists of adhering to their doctrinal positions simply because of reading John Calvin.

However, every faithful believer I know who affirms the doctrines of grace does so because they are wholly convinced from the pages of Scripture.

As for me, I did not even read Calvin until well after after I became convinced of Reformed soteriology. Rather, Scripture convinced me—

Romans 3 convinced me of total depravity.

Ephesians 1 convinced me of unconditional election.

John 10 convinced me of limited atonement (or, particular redemption).

Acts 9 convinced me of irresistible grace.

Romans 8 convinced me of the perseverance of the saints.

[PHOTO SOURCE: https://twitter.com/NatePickowicz/status/1361270789996183553]

[FB PHOTO LINK: https://www.facebook.com/apologeticministry/photos/a.666524576717407/3645849308784904/]

https://tabletalkmagazine.com/posts/practical-applications-of-the-doctrine-of-justification/

https://lutherandcalvinbrigade914.blogspot.com/2021/03/two-sermons-by-nate-pickowicz-on.html


 

David Kaywood:

https://www.gospelrelevance.com/2016/05/22/john-calvin-burn-michael-servetus-stake/

https://bible.org/article/what-theology-dave-hunt-s-misrepresentation-god-and-calvinism

https://www.desiringgod.org/messages/the-beauty-of-reformed-theology

https://conciliarpost.com/theology-spirituality/im-not-reformed-admire-anyway/

Refuting Provisionist:

https://theparticularbaptist.net/2020/05/29/leightons-ministry-of-selfishness/

https://puritanboard.com/threads/countering-provisionism.106713/

https://aviewfromtheright.com/2024/07/28/white-responds-to-turek-if-we-dont-have-free-will-to-accept-god/

https://shoebat.com/2026/04/19/jewish-idf-soldier-smashes-a-statue-of-the-crucified-jesus-christ-in-lebanon-the-antichrist-spirit-of-israel-is-rising-up-and-exposing-itself-and-the-jewish-fanatics-will-continue-to-slaughter-christ/

No comments:

Post a Comment